Clear, concise answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ) about Electronic Cigarettes.
1) What is an Electronic Cigarette/Personal Vaporizer (E-Cig or PV) and how do they work?
An Electronic Cigarette or Personal Vaporizer is a device that simulates conventional cigarette smoking by using electricity to vaporize a liquid containing nicotine (excluding 0 nicotine liquid). In contrast to regular cigarettes (aka "analogs") nothing is burned and no ash or butt is produced.
For a more detailed explanation please see our E-Cig 101 page
2) Are Electronic Cigarettes safe?First, we are going to point out and emphasize that E-Cigs are NOT FDA approved in general or as a cessation method for regular cigarettes. Electronic smoking technologies are pretty new so extensive, long-term test results are simply not available.
Simply we make no claims as to the medical aspects of E-Cigs & PV's. We strongly suggest that you research the matter if you desire further information.
"Damn it Jim, I'm a Webmaster Not a Doctor!"
3) How much do E-Cigs Cost in relation to conventional cigarettes?While many sellers of E-Cigs & vaporizers claim that they are 75% (or higher) less expensive than analogs we feel that this figure is a bit inflated. We estimate that if you smoke a pack a day at $5 a pack, or about $150 per month, you will spend about half of that on E-cigs. In other words we feel that in reality vaping cost about half as much as smoking (of course if you are paying more than $5 per pack the savings percentage will be higher).
Also, keep in mind that the price of tobacco cigarettes is not likely to come down anytime soon and it is quite likely that escalating taxes and other factors will keep the price of conventional cigarettes spiraling upwards for the foreseeable future.
The average smoker starting E-Cigs can expect an initial outlay of about $70 to $100 for a starter kit & enough juice to last a month. After the initial purchase the average pack a day smoker will spend about $60-$80 per month on liquid, replacement tanks/coils or clearomizers and batteries.
4) Can you really smoke an E-Cigarette anywhere?
NO! Please be respectful of other people and follow any posted rules regarding smoking/vaping. If you currently have to go outside to smoke at home your family should be alright with you vaping in the house since E-Cigarettes do not generate the lingering second hand smoke of analogs, are virtually odorless after a few seconds & do not stain walls or other objects.
5) Are Electronic Cigarettes legal?
Yes! E-Cigs are legal in the USA. Since they are a relatively new device they are still being evaluated by the FDA & although we feel that a ban of E-Cigs is not likely some sort of government regulation and control in the future is probably inevitable.
6) How does vaping an E-Cig compare with smoking a tobacco cigarette?
First, we'd like to point out that the two are NOT identical. E-Liquid does not produce the exact flavor of a tobacco cigarette. From a nicotine standpoint an E-Cig will more than satisfy your needs and if you vape heavily you may find yourself scaling back the nicotine content of your juice.
Vaping is not right for everyone and some will stick with analogs. However, many prefer vaping for many reasons such as the variety of flavors & the reduced cost. We have heard many stories from people that have switched to E-Cigs but still smoke cigarettes on occasion.
We feel that the major disadvantage of vaping is convenience. The equipment does require some care, maintenance and a bit more work than simply lighting up a cigarette. However for many this is not a drawback as vaping becomes more of a hobby than simply a habit.
Simply put, there is no way to know for sure whether you will like E-Cigs or not without trying one!
7) What is the best E-Cig/personal vaporizer model?
That really depends on the user, their experience level, what they want out of a personal vaporizer & personal preferences. There are many E-Cigs currently on the market in a variety of sizes, lengths, colors, etc. We have tried and tested many of them but not all.
This is only our opinion but it is a very strong opinion, the SMOK Nord Pod Kit is far & away the best overall device that has been made to date. It is extremely compact, weighs less than 4 ounces, has a 1300 mAh battery with a 3ml capacity pod & makes a huge amount of vapor compared with other pod devices. The Nord is also extremely easy to use & maintain.
8) What if I have questions that are not covered in the FAQ?
Nicotine Nirvana is highly committed to providing complete & factual information regarding E-Cigarettes & PV's. We don't pretend to have all the answers but if you have questions that are not covered by this FAQ or our E-Cig 101 page please email us and we will respond to you promptly and personally.
We truly appreciate your interest & look forward to hearing from you!
Nicotine Nirvana Will NOT Accept Orders From Anyone Under the Age of 18!
Nicotine Nirvana makes no claims regarding the medical aspects of the products offered at this site. The products offered at this site are not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prevent any disease nor are they intended to replace the advice of any health care professional. These products are not approved as nor do we claim them to be tobacco cessation devices. Nicotine is a highly addictive substance and should not be used by anyone who is allergic or sensitive to nicotine or by woman who are pregnant or breast-feeding. Under no circumstances will Nicotine Nirvana be held liable or accept liability for any damages caused by or alleged to be caused by the use of any products offered at this site.